Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Looking forward to the Quik Pro

 

 

 

 
Posted by Picasa
The time has come for us to warm up to the Quik Pro in France, the fact of the matter is that it is your best chance to see the top 44 in action in Europe. This is my 5th year of heading down to Hossegor and I look forward to it more and more as the years go by (and boy are they going!!). This time of the year helps in that the end of another rain and wind swept Irish summer you may only be a few degrees south but you can do a shortie or boardies and a wetsuit vest if you’re up for it. Over the last 2 years, the sun has shone the waves have pumped and that is good for the soul, setting off into a cold winter further north.
Things to do
The best surfers on the planet are there and they are there to perform. I am into the surf photograph and it is made easy by the standard so go and watch in awe. If you like the big power manoeuvres or the new school air, they are there in barrel loads.
Quiksilver always run great side events to go with the pro, so check them out.
The Rock Food bar in the square is always worth a visit the amber nectar flows till late o’clock, be warned this can affect your ability for early morning glass.
I will leave you to discover the break for yourself, but there are plenty from Seignosse in the North to Bidart in the South, Capbritton is to the South of Hossegor, across from the Cab Club hotel, this is where allot of the Pros stay - well the ones who are doing well, there is an Irish bar in the Hotel and you can stand a chance of sharing a table with Mick Fanning or any one of the pros who stay there.
My best times
The year Kelly got 8, we managed to blag a ticket to the Quik party were Kelly played with the band just an amazing night.
Two years ago on the Sunday before the main comp, La Graver was exploding at 10 foot and looked like hell on earth and they ran an expression season. I watched as the best surfers in the world pulled into what looked like the most horrible close out and through power technique and guts made them and ripped them!
The year off the rugby world cup, we watched members of the Irish rugby team getting Kelly’s autograph and being in awe of him, quite amazing..
Watch out for
Your board and valuables, I know of many people whose trip has been ruined by having stuff stolen. Phil my old mate from the Headworx days lost his boards, his camera and money for a 4 week trip after being in Hossegor for only 2 hours, so lock it and watch it.

Powerful beach breaks
One year I was sitting on the rock pile taking photos on a big day, out of the corner of my eye I saw a German in a pair of Speedos walking down the beach straight into the white water the next thing that confronted him was 10 foot of French lip which just smashed him. Next thing is your man floating face down. So, I start to run back down the rock pile to put my camera on the beach to go in after your man, I was a bit worried about my camera with the tendency for things to go walk about, but as I get to the beach I saw the lifeguard run down to the water, I then decided to shot the happenings. The lifeguard got to the hapless German just in time for both of them to get one on the head. Fortunately it did not smash the lifeguard and he held your man up, he was then joined by a very pretty female lifeguard, just as our lucky German regains conciseness the first thing he sees is her ! I think he thought he had died and gone to heaven!
So be warned, the waves in this area have come from a very deep part of the ocean and carry a little bit more power that your G town special.

So you should look into the annual exodus flights to Biarritz, they can be good value and enjoy Europe the ultimate surf bonanza.

No comments:

Post a Comment